Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Act of Commenting


 
I'm a blogger. What this means, is I write about things within my niche(books and writing) and compile my thoughts and opinions into posts. These posts are submitted for the public eye to view. Which is kind of scary. But also very satisfying.
 
I find that one of the most fulfilling things about blogging is getting responses from my readers. These are typically(okay, always, really) people I've never met in person before who, for some reason, want to hear what I have to say. It is so, so gratifying to know that others have read my post and thought hard enough on it to write their own responses.
 
When I write book reviews, the best feeling happens when I get the feedback you've convinced me to read this. When I write discussion posts I love to hear others participating in the discussion.
 
On the other hand, when I don't get any feedback....well, that's a little depressing. Especially with a post I feel like I've slaved over.
 
Case in point...comments are important! And appreciated! I, personally, read and try to respond to every one of them. As do many other bloggers.
 
So, here's my advice to other bloggers who have not been taking the time to comment on others' blogs.
 
Do.
 
Please. I know you may not always have time, but I feel like I've illustrated how crucial it can be to building each other up as bloggers. Don't just blog. Be a part of the blogging community.
 
Here are a few more reasons you should comment on other people's blogs. Some are selfish reasons, but hey, gotta know what's in it for you, right?
 
1. They might just comment back. You want more comments on your blog, right? Well, how do you think you're gonna get them?
 
2. You'll make connections. If you, as a blogger, just read and don't comment, no one will know who you are. Do you really want to be an internet nobody?
 
3. It shows that you are capable of forming intelligent responses. This is important. And I really hope you are capable of forming coherent sentences.
 
4. It makes you THINK. Trying to form responses to blog posts keeps you from simply skimming over them and moving on. Which, frankly, is a waste of time.
 
Now, these are just my opinions. I realize that you might have a perfectly acceptable reason for not commenting on blogs you read. (If you do, you wanna share those reasons in the comments? XD Almost gotcha there, huh?) But if you want to build an audience for your own blog, I think commenting elsewhere can be instrumental in that process.
 
I haven't been active in the blogosphere this past week, I'll admit(I was at camp--yay, camp!) BUT the week before I went crazy! I commented everywhere. I discovered some amazing blogs. And several of those amazing bloggers responded very sweetly to my comments. Some even visited The Scribbling Sprite and commented here. That was a good feeling!
 
In honor of my new discoveries, I'm going to be sharing some of the blogs I've discovered within the past few weeks! I may even start a tag. So come back tomorrow for that(and a special announcement).

27 comments:

  1. Comments make me happy too! I try to comment when I can. :) Thank you for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so true! Almost always, the more active I am on other blogs, the more comments I receive on my own blog. And I've made a few friends, even though I always balked at the idea of online friends. How can they be your friends if you've never met them? My blogging friends certainly aren't on the same level as my "real-life" friends, but they're friends nonetheless. (And now the word "friends" sounds really odd.)

    I love your last point, about commenting making a person think. When I write a comment, I always end up scrolling up and down the page between the comment box and the post to make sure I haven't missed anything or to re-read a section I want to compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so get what you mean. I feel like I've made friends, however strange that may seem.

      I do the same when I comment!

      Delete
  3. Yep! I totally agree. Being active in the blogging community is such a huge part of blogging. I talked about this in a post yesterday on my blgo as part of a blogging event that I have going on.

    I love comments, and when I get positive feedback it makes me beam. And commenting on other people's posts is just as fun for me. I love seeing what other people thought about books and chatting characters with them.

    Great post!

    Michelle Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love positive feedback. I don't even mind negative feedback so long as it's polite. And I agree. Commenting on others' blogs, and getting involved in the community...it's just fun!

      Delete
  4. YUSSS. This is VERY true! Commenting is such a great thing to do! It is a way to give your blog publicity (that's how I've found the majority of the blogs I follow), you also get to see what awesomeness is out there, and you might even get a blogging friend. :D Also, as a blogger myself, I know how special and exciting comments are, so, it's nice to be able to give someone else that too. :D Good on you for going crazy with commenting! And thank you for commenting on my blog so that I could find yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thank you, Koko! I'm glad I found your blog!

      Delete
  5. It would feel wrong for me NOT to comment on this post! Haha. I completely agree with you - comments are the most fulfilling reward for your hard work - much better than a meaningless follow from someone who probably won't visit your site again. Having someone tell me I convinced them to read a book always puts a smile on my face - and when I first started my blog, I would get even more excited about it than I do now. I wish I had more time to comment, but I definitely do my best to do what I can, for all the reasons you listed above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I agree. I appreciate follows, but I love it even more when that person keeps coming back and leaves comments. Makes me feel appreciated in turn. :)

      Delete
  6. I totally understand what you mean! I love when I get comment on posts and get to interact with the people reading it. It tells me someone is Actually reading my posts and enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love getting comments, it seriously warms my heart so much :) Commenting really broadens your blogging horizons and introduces you to awesome bloggers, books, and posts! Great post :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Ally! :) I have been putting forth a bigger effort to comment on other blogs, but it can sometimes be difficult! (I will mentally respond, but I forget to write it out & hit 'comment'... Hehe.) Great advice!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really can be difficult sometimes, but worth it overall!

      Delete
  9. I've written about commenting on my own blog before, and I won't get tired of saying that I absolutely love comments! I love giving them, I love receiving them. There's nothing more satisfying than knowing that people read your content and take the time to leave their thoughts. And it's really nice to share the love, too! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you writing a post on it! :) And I completely agree with you. That's one of the most satisfying things about blogging!

      Delete
  10. Comments are literally the best! I love every single one so much!
    And you leave some pretty awesome ones, so thanks for that. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree; commenting is one of the most important things a blogger can do! Not only because it helps you connect with other bloggers out there, but it helps you connect with other perspectives, methods, and practices. It's definitely hugely important, and I'm glad you brought it up. Thanks for all the times YOU comment on my blog. It's definitely special for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And connecting with others is probably my favorite part about blogging.

      You're welcome! You're pretty good at leaving comments yourself. I really appreciate that, Heather!

      Delete
  12. Comments always makes me smile! It's a great way to connect with other readers! It's part of why I started blogging in the first place. We all love books, so why not take the chance and talk about them with others who love books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Making connections and having discussions with other readers is one of my favorite parts of blogging. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Agreed! I try to comment as often and as widely as I can. Sometimes I'm like "meh ... maybe I won't" but then I think of that happiness you get from seeing a comment, and I realise that five minutes of my time, leaving a comment, is going to inject that into somebody else's day. And what is the point in blogging if you're not going to read -- and comment on! -- other people's blogs? That's like giving a speech to an empty auditorium. Useless!

    Glad to hear you enjoyed camp -- I too was on camp a couple of weeks ago and it was v enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Why not pass it on! Share the love! :)

      Glad you enjoyed camp! That's always my favorite time of year--going to camp!

      Delete