Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Ten Characters Who Are Kindred Spirits(In That They Are Book Drunkards Too)


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday was ten characters who are fellow book nerds! I had fun coming up with these.
 
Had to include these lovelies!
 

Ellie Sweet (The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet)

Ellie was the very first character to pop into my head. I'm pretty sure she loves reading, but even more she enjoys to write.

 
Hermione Granger (Harry Potter Series)

“But why’s she got to go to the library?”
“Because that’s what Hermione does,” said Ron, shrugging. “When in doubt, go to the library.” 

Samantha Moore (Dear Mr. Knightley)

Oh, gosh. Sam's bookish knowledge rivals even mine. She's always quoting one author or another.

Matilda (Matilda)

“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.”

 
Catherine Morland (Northanger Abbey)

Quite a few characters from Austen's novels came to mind, but Catherine is who stuck with me. Though she was perhaps not as well read as Fanny Price or Elizabeth Bennett, Catherine's fascination with gothic romance played a bigger part in her story.

Meggie (Inkheart)

“There was another reason [she] took her books whenever they went away. They were her home when she was somewhere strange. They were familiar voices, friends that never quarreled with her, clever, powerful friends -- daring and knowledgeable, tried and tested adventurers who had traveled far and wide. Her books cheered her up when she was sad and kept her from being bored.”
  

Mo (Inkheart)
 

“If you take a book with you on a journey," Mo had said when he put the first one in her box, "an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it. It will all come into your mind with the very first words: the sights you saw in that place, what it smelled like, the ice cream you ate while you were reading it... yes, books are like flypaper—memories cling to the printed page better than anything else.”  


Jo March (Little Women)

“…books are always good company if you have the right sort. Let me pick out some for you.' And Mrs. Jo made a bee-line to the well-laden shelves, which were the joy of her heart and the comfort of her life.”  

Klaus (A Series of Unfortunate Events)

I admit, I haven't actually read these. Klaus was Alison's suggestion!
“Klaus sighed, and opened a book, and as at so many other times when the middle Baudelaire child did not want to think about his circumstances, he began to read.” 

Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) 

I saved Anne for last, because she is my absolute favorite! I love what she says about books.
“I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.”  

 Do you consider yourself a "book drunkard?" Who's your favorite character off of this list?

21 comments:

  1. I love Catherine Morland! She's one of my favorite characters of all time. And, of course, Anne (with an e) is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her too, even if she wasn't what I expected! :) And Anne has to be one of my favorite characters of all time.

      Delete
  2. I am totally a book drunkard! I've read and loved about half of these books, but I think my favorite's gotta be... Inkheart. Also A Series of Unfortunate Events (which you totally need to read, btw)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww. Alison's been advising me to read them for....forever. I really should! And I think I need reread Inkheart.

      Delete
    2. You and me both! I hope to get around to rereading the Inkheart series sometime soon!

      Delete
  3. I agree! This post was SO much fun. :) Ahh, I've been meaning to read A Series of Unfortunate Events too! I'll get around to it one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely one of my favorite Top Ten topics!

      Haha. You and me both!

      Delete
  4. Four of these made my list, too! Hermione is definitely my fave here. And Series of Unfortunate Events is awesome.

    My TTT: http://thespellboundreader.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday-fictional-book-lovers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermione is one of my favorite characters. Period. I guess I really should read A Series of Unfortunate Events!

      Delete
  5. Ahh! I love how you did this with excerpts from each book; that is very awesome! :D I recognised seven out of ten of these (I have just been blog visiting, and three was the former highest, lol), and I love your choices; they are perfection! :') Awesomeness! *highfive*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!! I love Hermione best, woohoo for bookworms :D I totally forgot about Jo, but yes she totally is :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Bookworms rock. Hermione's definitely one of my favorite characters!

      Delete
  7. Great list! There are so many good characters here, but I think Anne, Catherine and Jo are my favorites. I love reading books about people who like reading, it makes the characters instantly relatable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's like finding a kindred spirit :) Thanks for dropping by, Candice!

      Delete
  8. Awesome list Ally! Hermione is one of my favourite book characters, and of course! - Catherine from Northanger Abbey - it's one of my favourite Austen novels and the second one I read after Pride and Prejduce. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermione's just brilliant! And Catherine is a dear :) I loved Northanger Abbey, but I don't think I could choose a favorite Austen novel! I'm torn between most all of them!

      Delete
  9. *raises hand* I am a book drunkard. I totally love the Mo quote about taking-books-with-you-and-collecting-memories. YES. Whenever I've taken a book on holiday I can always look at that book and be like "oh I read that in such-and-such place" XD I don't know why?! They just hold memories really really well! :D I loovve that you put quotes in this too and OMG YOU NEED TO READ LEMONY SNICKET'S BOOKS! IT'S A MUST!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know!!! I love that quote, because I can relate to it too! It's amazing how books can capture memories like that. :)

    Thank you! I'm pretty much obsessed with quotes. AND I WILL TRY TO READ HIS BOOKS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quotes! I really agree about the quote from Inkheart, the Mo one. I don't know why, but it's true.

    My favorite is Hermoine Granger. I agree with that quote, too. The local library is like my second home, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true, and isn't that amazing? I love Hermione too, and I would ABSOLUTELY consider the library my second home!

      Delete