Friday, July 31, 2015

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Science Fiction
390 pages
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)

 This was the book that pulled me out of my book reading slump.  With Fantasy and Sci-fi, as well as a touch of romance, Cinder had so many of my favorite things to read.  From the beginning, I was interested to see how Cinderella could be retold in such a futuristic, sciency way.
Source
 When I went in, I was worried about a thing or two.  So often in Cinderella stories Cinderella is made to be too perfect all the time.  Then sometimes you get this problem while reading a Cinderella story: It’s the same as all the others.

Let me tell you now, that these were not the case with this book.  I got to see Cinderella as a (mostly) human being, with problems that we all have.  (especially that problem with the prince not leaving her alone. ;)  Because that’s such a BIG problem.  I mean, come on Cinder)  And I got to see her deal with them as a sort of human for a while.  (no spoilers)
All in all, the recycled story of Cinderella was recreated and kept fresh in this great book. (with an ending to keep you on the edge of your seat until you can get the next book.)
There was no cursing (Woohoo!) and only like, three ALMOST kisses.  I think Marissa Meyer is toying with the shippers. 

21 comments:

  1. I swear I hear someone singing the praises of this book every single day . . . I'm still not convinced I'm going to like a Cinderella retelling (because insta-love and happily ever after and . . . . ugh) but I guess I will have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll spoil it because it may help your mindset, this book doesn't end happily ever after. I'm not really sure how I feel about the ending actually.

      Delete
    2. I don't think there's insta-love either. It's definitely a far cry from Disney! You might like it, Ellie!

      Delete
  2. I also liked all the originality and extremely unique approach to Cinderella. While I did have a few issues with this book I absolutely loved Scarlet and can't wait to continue with the series. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! And yes, lol. Ms. Meyer is totally playing with us shippers hearts!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH. THIS HAS BEEN ON MY TBR LIST (IN MY MIND) FOR AGES. IT HAS LOOKED SO GOOD, AND THIS JUST CONFIRMS IT. JDKAJFDLA. FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS. :D SQUEAAAK. I AM SO EXCITED, I MUST READ THIS NOW. ADKJFLASDA. Have you read the following ones? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet! I went to the library to get the next one and they had all but that one!

      Delete
  5. Cinder is totally on my favorites shelf right now (or it would be, if my shelf was up). I really loved the futuristic setting and Cinder's character! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I don't read a lot of science fiction, but I absolutely loved Cinder; Marissa Meyer writes so well! This book is definitely one of my favorite Cinderella retellings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favorite Cinderella retelling so far.

      Delete
  7. Wasn't this book just fricking amazing?! I love this series so much - the writing, the characters, and the mesh of fantast and science fiction - it's just top-notch storytelling. I can't wait for you to read the rest of the books in this series. Cress is my favorite as well as Captain Thorne!! :D

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this book too - and I was also a little late to the party. I'm now almost caught up with the series (still need to read Fairest, but since it's sort of a prequel, I don't feel rushed), and I'm loving it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I'm not the only one who was a little late! (fashionably, of course)

      Delete
  9. I totally agree that Cinder definitely does not read like any other Cinderella story. I loved this one and it's an all-time favorite. Glad you liked it. :)

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this series and Marissa Meyer is one of my favorite authors right now! I'm glad you enjoyed Cinder and I hope you enjoy Scarlet, Cress, and Fairest! I'm counting down the days until the release of Winter!!

    By the way, I've nominated you for The Liebster Award.

    ReplyDelete