Monday, August 17, 2015

Review: Where the Wild Rose Blooms by Lori Wick

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars 
Genres: Christian; Historical; Romance
Pages: 348


Where the Wild Rose Blooms (Rocky Mountain Memories #1)
 
 Goodreads Description:

In the high mountains of Colorado, Clayton Taggart dreams of the day when he can leave the rough life of a mine surveyor to become a teacher. In the midst of his plans, he meets Jackie Fontaine, a newcomer from the East whose strong willed spirit causes friction from the start. At first Clay gains more pleasure out of teasing Jackie than wooing her. Just as the spark of love ignites, tragedy strikes, leaving Jackie with a secret so terrible she would rather lose Clay than share it with him. Can anything draw Jackie from her self-imposed exile and open the shutters of her blinded heart? Lori Wick at her best...a tender love story set in the exciting early West--a book you won't be able to put down!
 
 
 
 

I'm more than a little disappointed. 2.5 stars? This is coming from the girl who devoured every single one of Lori Wick's books at the age of 13. I loooovvvvved this book four years ago. But my, how tastes change.
 
This was a so-so book. I liked the romance(no insta-love in this story!). The relationship between Jackie and Clay took time to develop, and I thought it was really sweet. I also really liked that there was a blind character. You don't see too much of that in fiction, and I thought it was handled pretty well.
 
A few things bothered me, though. The preachiness, for instance. Now, this IS Lori Wick, and I've come to expect a couple of sermons placed here and there, but it does get tiresome.
 
I also can't say I was a fan of the multiple points of view. I'd say this was written in third person omniscient, and I just don't think that's how Ms. Wick should have approached writing this. The POV would jump from one character to another, and back to the previous character in just a couple of paragraphs. It was distracting, and a lot of times, unnecessary.
 
I don't want to end this review on a harsh note, though. Overall, it was a sweet story--easy to swallow. I rounded up the rating--for sentimental reasons.
 
If you want to try something by this author, I recommend The Kensington Chronicles. They remain my favorite of her works.
 

1 comment:

  1. I, sadly, could never get into her books! I tried and tried but could never do it.

    ReplyDelete