Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Quotables: A. A. Milne, Author of Winnie the Pooh



I've never read anything by A. A. Milne, but I do know that he is the author of the famous Winnie the Pooh books. And I envy his sense of humor. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the man himself.

“[A] quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business." 
A.A. Milne, If I May

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A.A. Milne

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“How do you spell 'love'?" - Piglet
"You don't spell it...you feel it." - Pooh”
A.A. Milne

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh      

“One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.”
A.A. Milne

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh      

“Oh Tigger, where are your manners?"

"I don’t know, but I bet they’re having more fun than I am.”
A.A. Milne

“What I like doing best is Nothing."

"How do you do Nothing," asked Pooh after he had wondered for a long time.

"Well, it's when people call out at you just as you're going off to do it, 'What are you going to do, Christopher Robin?' and you say, 'Oh, Nothing,' and then you go and do it.

It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

"Oh!" said Pooh.”  
A.A. Milne

“What day is it?"
It's today," squeaked Piglet.
My favorite day," said Pooh.”
A.A. Milne

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh      

“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
A.A. Milne


“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”
A.A. Milne

“When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh      

“Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?'
'Supposing it didn't,' said Pooh after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.”
A.A. Milne

“If possible, try to find a way to come downstairs that doesn't involve going bump, bump, bump, on the back of your head.”
A.A. Milne, Pooh's Little Instruction Book      

Has anyone read Winnie the Pooh? What's your favorite quote from the above?

Read other Quotables:
- Roald Dahl

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, this are so funny! I mean, I can't think of a particular favorite, just because they are all so good. Although, I must admit that Eeyore's bright side involves no earthquakes is particularly good. And speaking of "What about lunch?" that is something I ought to do myself. Thanks for the humor, Ally! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! :D I adore Eeyore and his so-called optimism. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love it! My favourites:

    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

    “One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries.” <-- I can strongly relate to this.

    “Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?'
    'Supposing it didn't,' said Pooh after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.”

    I haven't actually read Winnie the Pooh, but I definitely should. Also, Ally, I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award! :)
    http://sparrowsflysouth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-one-lovely-blog-award-sort-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relate to the disorganized one too! And..."Supposing it didn't?" Lol. We should all use that more often.

      Thank you so much for the nomination, Emily!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, this is wonderful! I love all these quotes so much, but I think the first three are my favorites. <3


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, laughed at almost everyone! I've read bits and pieces of the Winnie the Pooh books :) and love, love the old cartoons....still one of my favorites ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read them! I adore the author...obviously :)

      Delete