Saturday, June 27, 2015

Maximum Ride: My Feelings Then and Now

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)
Why is the actual title so tiny??

This isn't officially a review, but here's a short description of the book, as seen on Goodreads.
 
Six unforgettable kids — with no families, no homes — are running for their lives. Max Ride and her best friends have the ability to fly. And that's just the beginning of their amazing powers. But they don't know where they come from, who's hunting them, why they are different from all other humans... and if they're meant to save mankind — or destroy it.

If you've read my post about audiobooks, you'll know that I've recently been trying to get into them. You all gave me some great recommendations(Unfortunately, my library doesn't have the HP series on audio). But I ended up settling on listening to The Angel Experiment by James Patterson.
 
Why? This series was my FAVORITE when I was in Middle School. I thought it would be great to listen to an old favorite, that maybe my attention wouldn't waver from the story like I thought it would. I'll be honest with you. It didn't.
 
Because I couldn't criticize the story without listening to it.
 
I didn't finish this book the second time around. And I've come to the realization that my Middle School self had different tastes and opinions than my current self.
 
What's that? You want to me to provide some examples? Well, if you insist...
 
Here are my opinions on....
 
THE PLOT
 
Middle School self: OMGersh, so exciting!
 
Current, sarcastic self: While hearing everyone talk to each other about the same things for 10 chapters is exhilarating, some action might be good right now.
Mostly, it's just...

source
 
MAX
 
Middle School self: I want to be JUST. LIKE. HER.
 
Elder, enlightened self: Eh, she's kinda cool, I guess. Funny, too. But she talks a lot. And likes to tell us how bad their situation is and how much the flock needs her, and how they have to save Angel. I wanted to bonk her on the head and say, "Too much thinking. Not enough doing."
 
FANG
 
Middle School self: Ooh, he's so mysterious and cool! I just don't know what the flock would do without him! He's so Fangalicious!(I kid. I never used that word.)
 
source
 
Bitterer, more cynical self: All he does is brood. Why is he so broody? Is something wrong with his tongue?

(source) Hey, Mister Grumpy Gills.
 
 
THE WRITING
 
Middle School self: This is so brilliant and funny and easy to read!
 
Wiser self: What is this repetitive trash? It's the same thing, dragging on and on...
 
source
 
 
THE MULTIPLE POINTS OF VIEW
 
Middle School self: *gasps* I LOVE ALL OF THESE PEOPLE!
 
Older, more mature self: This is so unnecessary. Why must I listen to Fang and Nudge have a meaningless(one-sided) conversation when I could be in Max's head while she's supposedly saving the day?
 
MY OVERALL OPINION
 
Middle School self:
source
Current self: SWIM. AWAY.
 
*Hangs head* I know. I'm being snarky.
 
I got through maybe the first quarter of the book and decided that I wouldn't spoil my feelings towards the rest of the series. While the part that I reread was agonizing, I want the flock to stay awesome in my memory.
 
Now, if you'll excuse, I'm going to go find a dark corner to weep in. I'm sorry if I've bruised any feelings.

Have you ever revisited a childhood favorite and been disappointed?

4 comments:

  1. It's sad when you re-read an old fav & it's not as amazing as it used to be... It's okay, though! It happens. ;) (Just another excuse to find some new favorites!!!)

    Hey, I also tagged you on my blog, if you wanna check if out....

    http://plottingertwist.blogspot.com/2015/06/777-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks for the tag! I'll definitely try to get to that one :)

      Delete
  2. ;) I was dying the whole time I was reading this post because it reminded me of a teen book I read when I was little and ADORED!!!!! I must've read it AT LEAST 79 times. It was called So Not Happening by Jenny B. Jones. Granted, it did help grow my sense of humor.

    But this post reminded me of my feelings then and now for my book. Would you mind if I model a post on my blog after this? It's just so ingenious haha!

    The GIFS were perfect BTW. ;) Where do you find all of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I just googled the gifs and made sure that I could use them.

      *gasp* I read So Not Happening a couple of years ago and loved it! I wonder what I'd think of it now? I'd love for you to do your post on something like this!

      Delete