Friday, January 30, 2015

Review (er...Rant) - The Knight

The Knight (Patrick Bowers Files # 3) by Steven James
Genres: Crime Thriller; Mystery; Contemporary
My rating: 4 stars
Average Goodreads rating: 4.37 stars
Pages: 492

Image and description from Goodreads.com
In "The Knight," the third installment in the bestselling series of thrillers featuring FBI criminologist Patrick Bowers, the stakes have never been higher.
Agent Bowers is used to tracking the country's most dangerous killers, but now it looks like a killer is tracking him. When he realizes the murderer is using clues from an ancient manuscript as a blueprint for his crimes, Bowers faces a race against time to decipher who the next victim will be and to stop the final shocking murder--which he's beginning to believe might be his own.
Gritty, chilling, and intense, this psychological thriller is guaranteed to keep readers up all night.
 
My review: Where do I begin with this one? Anything I say about it feels repetitive. I've already gushed about how amazing the first two books are. Guess I'll just have to say it again.
 
This book was a-maz-ing! Deja vu, anyone?
 
Well, it was. You might say, "well, why the four stars then, Ally? If you LOVED it, why not five?" Patience. I'll get to that.
 
You see, I did something stupid. Not like, 'riding your bike into a ditch' stupid. But still. Be prepared to gasp in horror. What I did was infinitely worse. When I finished The Rook, book 2 in the Bowers Files, I went to the library. I sought out books under the name Steven James...and I picked up The Bishop. Not The Knight, but The Bishop. Book 4. And I read it. All 523 pages, before I even touched The Knight.
 
Have you finished rolling your eyes at my idiocy? Good. See, the thing is, I THOUGHT The Bishop was book 3. I didn't even suspect a thing until I signed onto Goodreads to rate it and discovered that sneaky little four. I was devastated, as you can imagine.
 
Apparently, the author is quite talented at making all of his books readable even when you haven't read the previous ones. Which is a good thing really, and my enjoyment of The Bishop wasn't affected in anyway. But The Knight was a bit changed for me. The mystery was still there, but some of the suspense was lacking for me. Added to that, a couple of my favorite characters were missing for most of the book. Still, it was a thrill, and the ending still managed to completely throw me off.
 
I know that was a really long rant just to let you know that it was really probably better than I thought it was. But hey, gotta change things up a little bit every now and then!
 
I'll end this by highly recommending this series(IN ORDER). You won't regret reading them.
 
Content: Some gruesome scenes. Definitely not for the weak stomach.
 
Read my review of The Pawn, book 1 in The Bowers Files.
Read my review of The Rook, book 2 in The Bowers Files.
 

Enjoy my review? Like it on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment