Monday, September 21, 2015

Book review: Enna Burning

Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Genres: Young Adult; Fantasy

Goodreads description:

Enna and Princess Isi became fast friends in The Goose Girl, but after Isi married Prince Geric, Enna returned to the forest. Enna's simple life changes forever when she learns to wield fire and burn anything at will. Enna is convinced that she can use her ability for good--to fight Tira, the kingdom threatening the Bayern borders--and goes on secret raids to set fire to the Tiran camps and villages. But as the power of the fire grows stronger, she is less able to control her need to burn. In her recklessness she is captured by the Tiran army and held captive by a handsome, manipulative young captain who drugs her to keep her under his influence. Can Isi and her old friends Finn and Razo rescue her without sacrificing themselves? And with the fire still consuming her, will Enna find a way to manage the gift that threatens to destroy her?

My review:

I was very excited to read this book after I finished The Goose Girl, but I went at it thinking that it was going to have the same feel to it that The Goose Girl did.  I was very wrong. Enna Burning is almost the opposite. While the goose girl mostly had issues of trusting others, Enna burning was filled with issues of trusting onesself.  Enna Burning has a feel to it that is a lot angrier than The Goose Girl. That threw me off a little in the beginning, but as I came to realize that this book is very much different, I accepted it and the story seemed so much more interesting.

I was somewhat unsure about the beginning.  For a while, I just wasn't sure whether or not I liked it.  But the farther into I got, the more the story drew me in.  I loved to be inside Enna's head.  The way she thought was so different.  She is such a strong character and even though she doesn't believe it, I could see it through the way she thought.

 There was some cliche stuff towards the end though, some of that "falling in love with my captor" stuff that irked me, but when we figure out why it does make a little more sense.  The very end also seemed very rushed when I really wanted a more detailed ending.  However, there was an ending, which doesn't happen all the time.  Over all, I enjoyed this book greatly, although I didn't like it as much as The Goose Girl.  I still award this book a great 4 stars, and I will be reading the next one as soon as I can get it.

I'm just gonna geek out for a second before I go.  Razo!!!!!!!!!!!  He's amazing.  He is on my list of favorite characters.  I just love him and Finn.


~ Alison

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! I really need to read this then, huh? ;) I only read my first Shannon Hale book a week or so ago, and I absolutely loved it. I haven't started The Goose Girl yet, but obviously I should do that ASAP. xD Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one but it sounds really interesting. Especially that theme of trusting oneself. Definitely one for the neverending TBR.
    Also, I tagged you an Ally for an award! Don't feel obligated, though. This is just to let you know your blog is lovely. :) http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2015/09/tag-week-one-lovely-blog-award.html


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete